Thursday, October 21, 2010

I'm doing a HALF-MARATHON!

The journey of thirteen miles (and a cure) begins with a single step...

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but I have registered to walk (not run) a half-marathon. The details of that night are somewhat foggy as I would never in my right mind decide to walk for upwards of four hours when I could quite possibly drive that it fifteen minutes. The meeting was all fun and everyone was excited about our relay for life and almost as if I was bidding at an aution, my name went on the list.

And here I am. Writing a blog. Again, I should probably have my tail on a treadmill, or be going door to door to raise money, but I'm not. So, let me share my story and idea.

I volunteer for the Relay for Life every year. Last year I served on the committee and designed my team's t-shirt. It was great. The event went off without a hitch. Simpson County exceeded our fundraising goal by a LANDSLIDE! It was amazing... And my t-shirt won best in class! YaY!

Of course this year I was super excited to serve on the relay committee again. I even recruited a new member for the committee. (Looking back, I think she's the one who really got me on board this marathon train, so I'm not sure if my recruitment was actually a good thing! hahaha!) At our first committee meeting, our wonderful relay coordinator, Debra, had all kinds of hand outs for us. Initially, I just stuck the little green marathon flyer to the side and wondered why she had even wasted that paper on us... At some point (it's all a little foggy now) we pulled out that same little sheet and before I knew it, I was not only signed up for the team but nominated to be the team captain! So now I'm on board and super excited about it all. New Orleans. Mardi Gras. Great friends. Great charity. What's not to love!

I initially became involved with the American Cancer Society in high school helping my mother the year she first volunteered. Some of you may remember, a month later, she was diagnosed with leukemia. Fortunately she is now cured. Thanks go to God above all for this blessing. So many others were amazing during this time and we are eternally grateful for that. I also know the American Cancer Society played a part in her fight. They are the largest non-governmental funder of cancer research. They have been involved in most all cancer breakthroughs in recent history. They also provide programs for cancer patients such as the “Look Good, Feel Better” initiative and other informative programs to help patients better cope with the disease. In addition, ACS is very focused on cancer prevention and spends much time and money on various awareness programs so that one day we can stop the disease altogether before it begins. It is an organization that I am so passionate about and I hope some of you will help me with the goal I’ve set!

My walk in New Orleans will be thirteen miles. My fundraising goal is $1300. My hope is to have you sponsor me in a portion of my walk in honor/memory of a loved one who has battled cancer. For example, you could sponsor me in a quarter mile for $25, half for $50, or a mile for $100. All donations will be tax deductible and go to this amazing organization. In return, my team and I will walk in shirts that bear your loved one’s name. You may send a check made payable to ACS to my address or donate online at http://main.acsevents.org/goto/paigejones . If you choose to donate online, please specify your loved one’s name in the message so that I will be sure to print it on our shirts.

They'll be styled similarly to this:


I would greatly appreciate your support in this endeavor. I realize, given the state of the economy, it is a tough time to give donations. This organization, however, depends solely on the support of its volunteers and donors and in difficult times it is even more important to do what we can even if it is just a small donation or word of encouragement. Thank you so much for your support and consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment