Thursday, September 9, 2010

Things I miss about college...

As the football season progresses, I think about college. When I think about college, I think about all the good times. When I think about the good times, I think I need to write them down, because I'm getting older and inevitably, I'll forget them. So here they are... My list. The things I love about college.

1. Game day. Football, basketball, baseball... Whatever. Football was definitely the biggest, but all were fun and exciting. Ohhhh the feeling! The memories make me smile.

2. Lack of major responsibility. There is something nice about knowing my bills would be paid whether I did anything or not. I didn't have too many huge committments. I was free. It was awesome.

3. Sleep. Not hearing the alarm clock at 5:15 every morning was great. I'll never complain about getting up at 7:00 ever again. In fact, most days I would call that sleeping in now...

4. The Sanderson Center. I loved the variety of options. The equipment. The classes. The state of the art facility. The fact that it was free.

5. Endless awesome times with friends. Staying up until all hours of the morning, riding and talking about nothing, or the same stuff over and over--I wish I could do it now. I miss them.

I know, I know. That sounds like college was the highlight of my life or the best time for anyone, but that isn't true either. For each thing I love about being in college, there is something good that comes from me not having that now...

1. Gameday--I can afford cable and regular tickets now so I can either watch the games with friends from the comfort of my home or pay for seats that are NOT in the student section where I had to risk getting drenched in alcohol as a result of some frat boys excitement from the game.

2. Responsibility--It isn't that bad after all. I like my work and it allows me to pay my bills. I obviously can't buy everything I want, but who can? I live by the saying, "do what you can with what you've got."

3. Sleep--Well, I really do miss it and it's hard to think of something positive for this one. I do have a greater appreciation of it now! I am so happy when I get to take a nap instead of being ill because I couldn't like I was in college. I'm not bitter about it and I guess that is good! :-)

4. Exercise--Not having the gym has made me explore new options, like exercising outside. Who knew it could be so pretty and pleasant (sometimes) in south Mississippi?

5. Endless awesome times with...--I still have good times. They are just with different people. Coworkers, family, and even sometimes in class with my students. The fun with friends is still there, just not as frequent as the college days. But that's ok too because it makes me appreciate them even more.

So that was really random and just for today, as my Dawgs play Auburn at home, I wish I was in college again to experience gameday in Starkville on campus, but the wish won't last long. Tomorrow I'll again be thankful that stage of my life is over, but today I'll just reminisce... Oooohhhhhh, the memories!

=P

If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.
--Bear Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment